This summer Julien and I flew to the North Pacific West coast as neither of us knew this region of North America. We wanted to follow this itinerary : Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, before driving through British Columbia and Alberta. Things didn’t completely go as planned as hinted by the haze on some of the photos below… but more on that later.
My memory of our arrival in Portland is itself a bit hazy as most of my energy was spent powering through the rest of the day (hello 8 hour jet lag)… generally we very much enjoyed our stay although Portland felt extremely quiet over the weekend but I enjoyed the deserted feel. We got to visit some cool spots, eat great food and even venture outside of the city to see some nature along the Columbia River Gorge.
On that note, here’s a list of coffee/food spots we loved :
– Coffeehouse Northwest for great coffee
– Grassa for affordable pasta dinner
– Nong’s Khao Man Gai (the one on SE Ankeny St) for affordable Thai food
– Salt and Straw for ice cream
– the café at Society Hotel for breakfast (make sure to check out their rooftop)
– Broder Nord for brunch
And here are a few areas we checked out and would recommend :
– Pearl District and Northwest district
– Washington Park, and both its Rose Garden and Japanese Garden
Lime and Bird scooters have invaded the city and were a great way for us to get around and explore different neighbourhoods !
I hope you enjoy these shots of our stay : a combination of urban photographs, landscapes, and random shots of Julien (who’s never pleased with me taking photos of him…).